Monday, January 18, 2016

Let There Be Rest Today

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
                   - Victor Hugo

                                                                                                                                             

Welcome to the symphony!

In honor of my recent performance at the Embassy Theatre, today's post will be about one of the concert's feature songs:
Rest 
by Frank Ticheli




This piece is a tribute from Ticheli to his friend, conductor Carl St. Clair, and his wife, Susan, in honor of the memory of their late son, Cole Carson St. Clair. The song began as a choral version known as There Will Be Rest composed in 1999 before transmuting to the orchestra in 2010. Inspiration for the music is derived from a poem of the same name written by Sara Teasdale:


"There Will Be Rest" 

There will be rest, and sure stars shining
Over the roof-tops crowned with snow,
A reign of rest, serene forgetting, 
The music of stillness, holy and low. 

I will make this world of my devising
Out of a dream in my lonely mind. 
I shall find the crystal of peace, - above me
Stars I shall find. 

If you listen closely to the song, with both an open heart and mind, you can hear each word of the poem where it lies among the notes. 

Have a good week everyone and happy Dr. Martin Luther King Junior Day!

~E 




3 comments:

  1. I really love your blog. I love the title. The music was gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one word for you: excellence! The music was lovely, and the accompanying verse was deep and moving. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it.. Music is beautiful..Lovely..
      I like to words too.. Very meaningful.
      Keep up the good work..
      Neriman

      Delete