Friday, January 22, 2016

Don't Know, Don't Tell

"I used to think anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that it is the people that call others weird that are weird." 
                   - Paul McCartney
                                                                                                                                                                        
If I play my music too loud, don't tell me to turn it down. 
You don't know what that resonance does for my soul. 

If I want to dye my hair silver, don't tell me not to do it. 

You don't know me well enough to make any decisions, let alone one of a simple hair color. 

If I wake up tired from a late night of drafting, don't tell me that I should have gone to bed earlier. 

You don't know how little time I have during the day to do what I truly love. 

If I act too childish, don't tell me to grow up. 

You don't know how much longer my path runs through the woods.  

If I ignore reality for my books, don't tell me to get a life. 

You don't know that I have already experienced more than you can count on your fingers.

If I wear a flower crown in the middle of winter, don't tell me that the 60's are long gone. 

You don't know that I love that time and what it stood for. 

And if I am to endure more than 18 years on this planet, don't tell me how to live my life. 

Because you don't know what has happened to make me choose such a life. 

Only I know, and only I will tell. 


~E

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I love your blog and always look forward to seeing your posts on the dash!

    ReplyDelete